Monday, November 5, 2007

What a Day!

Whew! What a day! I had my monthly checkup today, and had to take a glucose tolerance test to screen for gestational diabetes. The sugar drink wasn't as terrible as I anticipated, so that was a good start. Then, the doctor, who usually draws my blood, was running late so one of the MAs tried to do it. Tried is the key word in that sentence. After three separate sticks and feeling her move the needle all around my vein (I think I know what my grandpa goes through now with the nurses at his dialysis center!) AND drinking the sugar drink, I got really lightheaded. Luckily I didn't actually pass out, though I thought I was close. So the MA did a finger prick to do a preliminary glucose reading so the test wasn't a waste (you have to draw the blood an hour after drinking the sugar stuff). Well, I kinda failed the test. A normal level is below 135, and mine was 170. Yikes! So now I have to have a much more complicated version to find out if I am indeed diabetic now. I'll keep you updated on how that goes. Nothing is for certain yet; the doctor is going to wait until the official blood test gets to the lab to see what those results were. Then if the official count is that high, I'll have to do the more intense test. We'll see what happens I guess. But looking into it a little bit, sometimes when I get sick, the way I feel fits a hypoglycemic reaction. And my belly measured a couple centimeters big today. So I guess I wouldn't be surprised if I do have gestational diabetes. It just stinks that this pregnancy has been kind of tough. Definitely not a stroll through the park. But I have a lot of support and we'll get through it. Only a few more months to go if you can believe that!
On top of all of that, the wind is gusting at 45mph and it is raining. FYI - raincoats and umbrellas are no good when the rain comes at you sideways.
On a more serious note, I would like to extend a prayer request. My friends Andrew and Erin welcomed their newborn, Basil, on October 22. Long story short, this past Thursday he was admitted to Mott's Children's Hospital in Ann Arbor because his heart isn't working very well. He is scheduled to have open heart surgery at the end of the week. So can you please keep Andrew, Erin, Basil and the doctors in your prayers? I know they would really appreciate it.
On the lighter side, I am trying to upload a new picture of my belly but my photo program doesn't want to work for some reason. But I pinky promise to put the picture up as soon as I figure out how.

Until then, have a great day!
love clayr and bp (juanitas)

No comments: